Right before Christmas I made this easy and fun-to-make necklace and want to share the tutorial.
You will need:
- rag yarn
- embroidery thread
1. Start with the base. Take rag yarn and make a few loops. You will not wear this around your neck. This will become the "chest part" of the necklace.
2. Tie a ribbon in both "ends" of the loop. My loop measured aprox. 47 cm from one end to the other.
3. Choose the colours of embroidery thread.
The above picture is from Deko. magazine. They had an article with inspiring pictures called From Russia With Love. I loved the colours and got inspired to pick out the colours for the necklace in the same colour theme.
4. Cut as long a piece of embroidery thread as you wish. Tie the thread around one end of the rag yarn. Leave a short end of the thread. Start winding the long end of the thread around the rag yarn covering the short end of the embroidery thread.
5. Continue winding until you have only a short end of your first color. Cut a piece of your second colour and continue winding covering two short ends, one of the first colour and the other of your second colour. Continue until you've got the rag yarn covered.
Here is a small video of the method I used for winding the emboidery thread.
Hope you find some inspiration to make your own fabric jewellery.